Community Service: Firefighters
In pioneer days, fires posed a considerable threat to communities filled with sheds, barns, haystacks, and piles of straw and wood. If a fire ignited, men, women, and children all ran with buckets and hastily formed a bucket brigade, passing buckets of water quickly down the line to pour on the flames.
As soon as water was piped from the canyon, water lines and hydrants were installed. Near the turn of the century, Hyrum city purchased a bright red hose cart with large wheels and shafts carrying a fire hose. Three men would pull the cart to the scene of a fire, unwind the hose, and attach it to the nearest hydrant. On August 21, 1931, Hyrum made arrangements with the Cache County-Logan City Fire Department to answer alarms from Hyrum. Then, following a unanimous vote at a city council meeting, Hyrum City organized a volunteer fire department in early April 1954. Realizing that the first ten minutes of a fire are the most crucial, having a department in Hyrum eliminated the ten to fifteen minute wait for a truck to arrive form Logan.
Reed Bickmore was appointed as the first fire chief, Ross Liljenquist was the assistant fire chief, and Taylor C. Hutton was the secretary and treasurer. Drill was held early Saturday morning, with breakfast afterward to entice more volunteers.
The Hyrum City Fire Department continues to operate and protect this community as a result of the service of volunteers who attend drills and respond to calls. Interestingly, they also still hold drill early Saturday morning.